Wendy’s or Subway or DQ, oh my!
It might be past that most wonderful time of the year, with shopping trips at the crack of dawn to get that one-day-only door-buster deal, wrapping gifts, road trips to visit friends and family, and not enough time to fit it all in, but things never seem to slow down after the holidays.
Following the holiday season – which pretty much consumed the last two months of the year – we still spend a lot of time in the malls returning things or get stuck in traffic on the way to and from work. We eat on the go, grab a bite, allow ourselves “a treat.”
Even though we might not still be caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holidays any more, it’s still easy to forego healthy for convenience – or comfort. Fast food restaurants may serve up quick and tasty meals at bargain prices, but over-indulging can pack on the pounds.
Even those “healthy-sounding” meals can be deceptive when it comes to calorie count, packing 50 percent or more of the calories you need for the entire day into one meal – and that’s not counting sides, deserts or drinks.
Check out the 10 Most Fattening Fast Food Dishes, according to The Daily Meal, and the restaurants that serve them up.
- 10. Taco Bell: In tenth place is Taco Bell’s Volcano Nachos, weighing in at 980 calories. Unless you plan to share this tasty platter of chips piled high with refried beans that is topped with a cheesy sauce and special mayo-based “lava” sauce, beware…and not just because it’s spicy. This dish is oozing with flavor – and calories, 980 of them.
- 9. Wendy’s: Edging out those gut-busting nachos by more than 100 calories is Wendy’s Daves Hot ‘N Juicy 3/4 lb burger in ninth place, which comes with a big, buttered bun, three beef patties topped with mounds of cheese, and a whopping 1,120 calories.
- 8. Chipotle: In eighth place is Chipotle’s Steak Burrito, Fully Loaded – with 1,200 calories, that is. Rolled into a jumbo-sized, 13-inch tortilla that weighs in at almost 300 calories before any ingredients are added, are steak, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.
- 7. Dairy Queen: Number seven on the list is Dairy Queen’s Chicken Strips with Gravy. You may love the deep-fried chicken, fries, Texas toast and gravy combo, but your waist-line will hate the 1,3700 calories you pack in. Add desert – c’mon, you know you will – and you can easily surpass those FDA recommended 2000 daily calories by 150 percent.
- 6. Baja Fresh: Rounding the curve in sixth place is Baja Fresh’s Steak Quesadillas. Don’t let the word “fresh” fool you into thinking you’re doing yourself a favor with this 1,430-calorie dish. Charbroiled steak might sound like it’s packed with protein, but watch out for those fatty calories that it comes smothered in, including the cheese, sour cream and guacamole – all packing flavor – and calories.
- 5. Pizza Hut: In fifth place is Pizza Hut’s Personal PANormous Meat Lover’s Pizza. Unless you “personal”-ly want to consume copious amounts of cheese, ham, pepperoni, sausage, bacon and hamburger meat along with almost 75 percent of the calories you need for the entire day – all at once — you may want to consider sharing this 1,470-calorie dish.
- 4. Domino’s: Fourth in line for most fattening fast food meal is Domino’s Chicken Carbonara Breadbowl Pasta. If it sounds too good to be true – four yummy treats combined into one tasty dish – it isn’t. It’s real. Packed with a delicious combo of favorite comfort foods – and calories – this meal is also packed with calories, 1,480 of them.
- 3. Quizno’s: In the number three spot is Quizno’s Tuna Melt. At 1,535 calories, this sandwich may sound like a safe choice – it’s tuna, after all – but don’t let the name fool you. At more than half the calories you need for an entire day, this dish may not be the “catch” you’d hope it would be.
- 2. KFC: In second place is KFC’s Variety Big Box Meal. You may want to think “out of the box” and turn to a lower-calorie choice than this meal, which comes packed with popcorn chicken, chicken strips, drumsticks, two side, a biscuit and a belt-popping 1,680 calories.
- 1. Subway: In first place is perhaps the most unlikely of contenders. Subway is known as the place to go for healthy fast-food options, but that doesn’t mean every item on the menu is good for you. Choose the Double Meatball Marinara with Cheese and you’re also choosing 1,720 calories, almost an entire day’s worth in just one meal!