10 Scriptures for Sharing Our Freedom in Christ
When we celebrate our freedom from British rule this Independence Day, why not also celebrate the greatest freedom of all … our liberation from the bondage of sin and death through the blood of Jesus Christ? All other freedom comes in a close second.
And what better way to let others partake in this celebration than by sharing Scripture that brings this freedom we receive from Christ and His Word to life?
Here are just a handful of verses that can help us and others put our freedom into proper perspective:
- O Lord, truly I am your servant … you have freed me from my chains. —Psalm 116:16 NIV
- For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin – because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. —Romans 6:6–7 NIV
- … and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the first-born from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood … —Revelation 1:5 NIV
- The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed. —Luke 4:18 NIV
- For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. —Romans 8:20–21 NIV
- Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. —2 Corinthians 3:17 NIV
- I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:34–36 NIV
- You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. —Romans 6:18 NIV
- Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. —Romans 8:1–2 NIV
- It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. —Galatians 5:1 NIV
So, more than 200 years ago, our Forefathers were celebrating religious freedom that’s lasted for centuries. But over 2,000 years ago, believers across the world began celebrating freedom from spiritual death – which will last for eternity!