Being single is NOT a disease. I know it is treated as such and I know it can feel as much at times, but it’s not. I am so tired of listening to people tear others down just because they’re single. It’s ridiculous.
I don’t have a boyfriend. Honestly, I don’t even think I want one right now… well, that’s not entirely true, let me rephrase. I don’t want a boyfriend that I have to settle for just because he’s there. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been told to settle for someone simply because he’s the best option they see right now. Can I just give you a little advice if you’re thinking about doing this? DON’T. God has a much better option out there for you, don’t settle because you just want someone to tell you you’re cute and hold your hand. It is NOT worth it.
Here are five reasons why I don’t have a boyfriend and why that’s perfectly okay.
1. Call me old fashioned, but I do not date just to date. I never have, and I can promise you, I never will. This is probably the biggest reason why I do not have a boyfriend right now. You’ll save yourself a lot of heartache and wasted time if you date with purpose.
2. I refuse to settle. I have standards and I know what I expect. My standards are not set so high that no one can achieve them. On the contrary, I assure you, they have been met before. Never settle. You are a child of the Most High King and you deserve His best. Why in the world would I want to settle for something the world offers when I can have God’s absolute best?
3. I wear a purity ring. I have seriously had guys, even Christian guys, tell me the purity ring is a deal breaker. Can I just tell you something? If a guy isn’t willing to respect you and your promise of purity, he’s not the guy for you. The right Man of God will stand up to heroically protect your purity. Wait for that.
4. I’m still healing. I got my heart broken. Well, honestly, it feels like it was shattered to pieces and then shredded… and this happened twice. Same guy, same situation. I am still dealing with hurt from that relationship. There are still so many unanswered questions and unresolved feelings there for me, but God has been working diligently to heal this tattered little heart of mine. It’s not pretty, but He’s walking me through it.
5. I’m waiting on God and His plan. I’ve tried to take things into my own hands before and it just ended badly. I know that He has much better plans than I could ever come up with. When the time is right, He will give me a beautiful love story. It’ll be worth it.
The best dating advice I have been given and that I can give is not to let anyone tell you that you have impossible standards. There really are amazing men of God out there. Don’t believe me? Read your Bible. God even gave us examples of what real men should be like. One of my favorites is Boaz. Seriously, check him out.
Waiting isn’t fun, I know. But I would much rather wait a little longer than be miserable with someone now. I hope that makes sense. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being single. Find your identity in Christ, talk to Him. Tell Him how you feel, what you want. He cares and He has a plan. Get to know His perspective and what He says about you. I can promise you, the more secure you are in Christ, the less other people’s opinions matter. Hang in there, single pringles. He has a plan!
Don’t settle for a Bozo, when you can wait for a Boaz.
“Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7, 8